Factor 001 is a lightweight (under 7 kg including all equipment) carbon fibre monocoque structure with an on-board computer and performance monitoring system, incorporating various motorsport-grade sensors, a GPS and a radio transmitter, are integrated into the handlebars and throughout the bike-setting the world record for the most advanced bicycle.
Factor 001 is the result of a creative project to explore the transfer of design approaches, technology and materials from Formula One (where BERU f1systems is a supplier of various components such as electronics and composites to every team) to mankind’s most enduring invention.
‘I am very pleased that what started as a ‘clean sheet’ design exercise to showcase our expertise in composites and electronics has delivered such a beautifully styled, scientific training device,’ says John Bailey, managing director of BERU f1systems.
‘Athletes and their trainers now have access to performance enhancement capabilities that are the norm in top-level motorsport, and individuals interested in an exclusive, high end, differentiated bicycle now have a serious alternative.’
Factor 001, the world’s most advanced bicycle, will appeal to professional and semi-professional athletes competing at the highest levels in cycling and other sports; as well as personal trainers, fitness camp organisers, and affluent fitness training enthusiasts.
One of the key benefits of the bike for riders is its ability to collect laboratory-quality data, while being ridden outdoors.
Factor 001 boasts what are believed to be many firsts for the cycling world:
- Multi-channel electronics package which provides unique ergonometric data collection, logging and analysis capabilities; can correlate biometric data from the rider, physical force data from the bike and environmental data; developed with feedback from professional athletes.
- Carbon ceramic brakes provide endless, exact braking performance at any temperature.
- Almost all original parts; key components designed and manufactured in-house from Formula One-grade materials.
- Fully integrated structure using BERU f1systems’ Wire-in-Composite patented technology; load sensors, wiring, batteries, sensors, control cables and lines for the hydraulic braking system are all fully integrated into the composite during construction, to give unparalleled efficiency and durability with a clean, uncluttered appearance.
- Twin-spar frame reduces sideways frame flex and preserves rider comfort.
- 8-spoke monocoque composite wheels deliver high lateral stiffness and robustness for everyday use.
- Bespoke made-to-measure frame (to within 1mm); each customer to experience Formula One-style ‘seat fit’ process.
BERU f1systems is already in talks with various sporting bodies about future applications of the data measurement software. Factor 001 is available to order from BERU f1systems now.